<$BlogRSDURL$>
1000 Shades of Grey
Friday, October 12, 2007
 
It's in the post
With some post now getting through, I took the opportunity to post my Shuffleathon 2007 CD this week. No sign yet of it having arrived at it's destination, but I thought I'd set out the track listing here in any event, and then link to the review when it gets posted in due course.

The tracklisting (cue: drumroll)

1. This is a call - Foo Fighters
2. Mr Brightside - The Killers
3. Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed
4. F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E. - Pulp
5. Talk Tonight - Oasis
6. My Baby Just Cares For Me - Nina Simone
7. It's The End Of The World As We Know It - REM
8. We Have All The Time In The World - Fun Lovin' Criminals
9. Small Bit of Love - The Saw Doctors
10. Back To Black - Amy Winehouse
11. Unfinished Symphony - Massive Attack
12. Hurt - Jonny Cash
13. The Man Don't Give A Fuck - The Super Furry Animals

As a mix CD, I listened to it a number of times in the hope that I'd be able to gauge the pace of the album as a whole, which caused me to change the tracks included several times - out went the Sugababes cover of Living for the Weekend (too slow) and the Star Wars theme music (it just stood out too much), in came REM (because otherwise the middle part of the album seemed a bit too chilled out) and the Super Furry Animals (because Hurt, whilst brilliant, is a little too depressing as a final track). Eschewing more populist Pulp tracks from Different Class for F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E. was a tricky choice - with Misshapes being a particular personal favourite, but I really love the way that F.E.E.L.I.N.G. builds to a crescendo, and it just seemed to fit better at that point in the album as a whole.

Friends of mine won't be surprised by the strong Indie element of the album, or the appearance of a Saw Doctors song, but hopefully it goes a bit beyond the plainly predictable, and straddles a sufficient number of genres to ensure that there's at least one song on there that goes down well with its recipient.

If that's you, and you are reading this, I look forward to reading the review. If it isn't you, feel free to listen to the tracks in order and then let me know what you think.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Blogarama - The Blog Directory