<$BlogRSDURL$>
1000 Shades of Grey
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
 
Full debut
Having spent an entire season training (and in the process losing enough weight that hardly any of my clothes fit me properly anymore), I made my first start for my football team on Saturday.

Thinking back over my football career, I've actually just realised that this was the first occasion when I've played a competitive eleven-a-side fixture. Ever. My only games for my primary school being a pre-season friendly (first half only) against the local public school, and a second XI fixture against another school who'd just been given a new kit by someone vaguely famous, and so were featured on Look North (full match).

My two appearances from the bench this season have seen us garner four points (although in the first game, we were leading 2-0 and went on to draw 2-2; and in the second we were already several goals up and the game was won). So it was unsurprising that I was somewhat nervous before the game started.

Playing at right back, the first half seemed to last an age - during which time I had a few decent touches, but also got done for pace by their left winger on one occasion, and didn't head a single ball. My ever supportive other encouraging me to "commit" (I married her, what more does she want?).

The half ended on a sad note, with us leading 1-0, but losing our best performing player to a serious injury, and half time being called a minute early as we waited for the ambulance.

Regrouping at half-time, we went out a reinvigorated side, and played much better. The opposition tired, and despite the rejig to our backline which was necessitated by the injury, we defended better as a team. I even started to win headers, put in one beautiful sliding tackle, and generally played much better. It was surely no co-incidence that we scored three second half goals, and won 4-0.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Blogarama - The Blog Directory