<$BlogRSDURL$>
1000 Shades of Grey
Thursday, October 12, 2006
 
Off the bench
I promised you a report on my progress (provided I didn't shin an own goal costing us the match) and so it's only fair to deliver one.

The game was played on a somewhat questionable pitch (big holes, including one that needed to be filled in with the aid of a mound of earth and a shovel prior to kick off) which had a bigger slope that St James' Park and with the added complication of a strong wind.

As it was, we started the better team (despite being away from home) and deservedly took a two goal lead (the second direct from a corner!).

Shooting uphill and into the wind in the second half was always going to be tougher, and so it proved - although we still had chances to score a third and make the game safe.

So, with a two goal lead, and twenty minutes to go, I made my long awaited debut - coming off the bench and fitting in at right back (a position that I would not describe as my ideal, but beggars can't be choosers). A couple of tidy interceptions later, and I was settling into the game - even causing their defence some difficulties from two attacking corners.

Then the wheels fell off, as the home side forced home a goal mouth scramble before slotting a forty yard free kick into the top corner in the last minute to grab a barely deserved equaliser.

Despite not being directly culpable for either goal, to come on at 2-0 and leave the field at 2-2 was something of a sickener. However, we're trying to remain positive and as a team we're now unbeaten in four, safely ensconced in mid-table, and play our next game (sadly with me unavailable due to a pre-existing family commitment) in the MAA Minors Cup on Saturday.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Blogarama - The Blog Directory