<$BlogRSDURL$>
1000 Shades of Grey
Monday, March 06, 2006
 
O is for Opera
No, not the latest in my series of contributions to the excellent A-Z of Music feature on The Art of Noise, but rather the way in which I spent last Monday evening.

With Opera North in the vicinity, it seemed an ideal opportunity to double the number of Opera's I'd seen, and so it was that I watched La Boheme.

Admittedly, I'm hardly the most cultured individual, but equally I'd like to think I've sufficient breath and depth to my cultural understanding to be able to appreciate a spot of opera every once in a while.

Which I did.

The music was cracking - with both orchestra and singers performing wonderfully. I may not have understood what they were singing until I'd read the handy subtitles on the screen above the stage, and I certainly didn't know what the plot was before watching it, but I really enjoyed the performance.

The less said about the story the better (it's a bit like Moulin Rouge but without the prostitutes or Jim Broadbent), but then if you want a plot go and see Shakespeare, if you want great music go to the opera.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Blogarama - The Blog Directory