<$BlogRSDURL$>
1000 Shades of Grey
Monday, November 01, 2004
 
Leader of the Free World
If the President of the USA is the Leader of the Free World, then as a member of the world, I want to a chance to pick my leader. Surely that is my right, what with it being a free world – one governed by fundamental principles like democracy and freedom of speech.

With that in mind, has anyone received a polling card inviting them to vote tomorrow? If so, where did you get it from? Can I get one? Or have I left it too late?

I think that in this time of dwindling election turnouts, and with at best only about 70% of Americans registered to vote it seems ridiculous that those of us who care about the result aren't given the opportunity to do anything about it.

I don't see why my world should be led by a man I haven't had the opportunity to vote for, and why my future should lie in the hands of the population of only a handful of states in America?

To say that the electoral system in the states is flawed is perhaps stating the obvious ("yes Mr Gore, more people voted for you, but no you can't have the keys to the White House – some senator gave them to his brother, and he won't give them back"). However, to reach a stage where Americans preach the value of democracy to people in Afganistan, Iraq, etc, and then only 70% of them can vote, and those who are affected by the outcome and want to vote can't, seems somewhat hypocritical.

I'm a citizen of the free world, and I want to vote for my leader.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Blogarama - The Blog Directory